Life is about courage and going into the unknown
( Walter Mitty 2013 )
With the new year approaching I wanted to touch on the prospect of new adventures.
This term I have really enjoyed visiting schools and preparing them for their 2017 residential. It’s great to meet teachers to put their mind at rest but I also love how pupils respond to hearing about what they will do on their trip. My favourite question to date regarded a concern over great white sharks in the water of Newquay!
So, who inspires us??? Well firstly Walter Mitty and the amazing sound track from the 2013 film, but then there is ……Paddington Bear……. Phileas Fogg ……. The Famous Five……… Homewoodbound (just to name a few!). But there are also some brilliant curriculum links to some authentic adventure pioneers.
To gain access to a First Wave Adventure you have to be aged 8 or above, so here is a list of 8 adventurous characters, each with their own curious twist :
1. Rolf Pots and his bagless travels
2. Nellie Bly and her use of a telegram
3. Wildlife photographers- Martin and Osa Johnson and their book ‘I Married Adventure’
4. Thomas Cook......the man........ not.... just a travel agency
5. Gertrude Bell and her bravery
6. Louise Boyd and her North Pole triumph
7. Apollo 11 and the mystery
8. Sir Randolph Fiennes and his endurance
The inspirational facts (look them up!!) surrounding these travel heroes has created some hilarious conversations about what to bring and how to prepare for the trip to Cornwall. Luckily we provide a 'what to pack' handout too!
Live, Laugh and Learn is our moto and for the schools who are already booked up for 2017, their journey has already started.
We can’t wait to get you on the beach for your First Wave Adventure.